What do you think the secret is to being productive? It’s uncomplicated: get up early.
It’s easier to wake up earlier in the morning when you know exactly what you want to achieve that day. If you don’t know what it is you want to do, you probably wouldn’t wake up that easily. There’s an important characteristic of someone who is productive: the early bird is the most disciplined.
Even though you may be one of the people who are more ‘creative’ at night, the early risers hold the most valuable cards. Most of us work a 9-5 job, so the morning person holds the greater benefit.
Getting in the waking-up-early habit may be hard at first, but we’ve created a few steps to motivate you:
1. Set an alarm at the time you would like to wake up. Don’t all of a sudden wake up at 5 in the morning when you usually wake up at 10.
2. Go to bed 7-8 hours before you have to wake up. Running into problems are inevitable if you are going to sleep at 1 in the morning and wake up at 5.
3. When your alarm goes off, get up! Don’t hit the snooze button, that’s called procrastinating. Don’t pay attention to any excuse you give yourself as to not get up right away.
4. Soak up the sunlight. Did you know exposing yourself to the sun is important to your body clock? When you first wake up, don’t go for the blinds. Instead, let the sun shine in and use it as your natural alarm clock.
5. Begin a daily morning ritual. If you take a walk across the street to get a cup of coffee, you’ll be more motivated to wake up early.
6. It takes 21 days to make or break a habit. Look at it like this: instead of getting rid of your old habit, replace it with a ‘new’ habit that is beneficial to your productivity.
Have you ever used these steps to help you wake up early?
If so, has it worked for you?